If you haven’t figured it out but, I’m a Vortex Optics fan. When individuals ask my opinion on a rifle or pistol scope, the reply is sort of at all times a member of the Vortex Optics Family. I feel that for the cash, Vortex Optical builds a number of the finest rifle and pistol optics accessible.
When it involves pistol (and, in some instances) rifle scopes, the general decisions start to slender. There are solely 4 or 5 small pink dot pistol sights that I might ever take into account. The Vortex Venom and Viper sights are normally proper on the high of that shortlist. The query is there, which of the 2 sights would I selected?
To make that alternative, let’s take a look at the Vortex Optical Venom and Viper scopes facet by facet. While they’re remarkably comparable in some ways, every has some strengths and weaknesses that may affect a shooter’s alternative.
The Big Picture – Vortex Venom vs Viper
A cursory look at these two pink dot sights would possibly trigger a bit of confusion. The Viper and Venom pink dot sights from Vortex Optical look comparable. They share many traits.
- These sights share the identical Vortex high quality of design and development.
- Both sights are waterproof and shockproof
- The Viper sight is barely smaller than the Venom, however not appreciably.
- You get principally the identical gear in each containers.
- A climate cowl for the sight
Of course, you additionally get the Vortex lifetime guarantee on both sight. These options are all commonplace Vortex stuff. The distinction is within the particulars and that’s the reason we’re going to offer you an in depth merchandise by merchandise comparability of those two sights after which our suggestions.
Vortex Venom vs Viper: Head to Head Review
Vortex Venom Red Dot Sight – Small Package, Big Features
If it wasn’t exhausting sufficient to decide on between the Venom and the Viper sights, Vortex Optical provides to the problem by providing the Venom sight in two variations, one with a three MOA dot and one with a 6 MOA dot. Since we’re evaluating the Venom and the Viper, we are going to try to examine apples to apples through the use of each fashions within the 6 MOA dot choice.
The very first thing that you simply notice while you open the packaging and take the Venom sight out of the protecting foam is the scale and weight of the Venom sight. The first thought that got here to my thoughts was whether or not one thing this small and this light-weight may stand up to the pains of being mounted on a pistol slide, not to mention on high of an AR pistol.
Vortex Meets the Challenge – Quality Construction
The Vortex Optical machines the Venom scope housing from aircraft-grade aluminum. The one-piece housing design eliminates any weak spots or joints within the body. This one-piece design offers a inflexible and sturdy platform on which Vortex Optical provides multi-coated lenses.
The Vortex Optical Venom pink dot sight offers one of many widest fields of view of any small pink dot sight meant for pistols. The multi-coated therapy of the lenses consists of an anti-glare coating.
Venom Controls and Designs – Efficient and Simple
Venom Optics acknowledged one of many important drawbacks to many different pink dot sights meant for mounting on pistols. Unlike many different manufacturers and another Vortex sights, there is no such thing as a must take away the sight from the pistol to vary the battery. Vortex created the Venom sight with a top-loading battery compartment.
The controls on the Venom sight are ergonomic. By inserting the windage and elevation controls on the left facet of the sight, most of us who shoot right-handed can entry the controls with our off-hand. The controls provide 1 MOA windage and elevation changes with sufficient inner adjustment to cowl many distances.
- Multi-Coating on all air-to-glass surfaces to extend mild transmission
- Wide field-of-view lens
- Fully adjustable brightness settings that includes ten totally different settings
- Manual or Auto mode brightness management
- Parallax free design
- Single piece body machined from aircraft-grade aluminum
- Vortex Optics “Armor Tek” scratch-resistant coating on the lenses
- Auto energy down after 14 hours to preserve battery life
- Up to 30,000 hours of battery life on the bottom forcefulness setting
- 150 hours of battery life on the highest forcefulness setting
- Overall Length – 1.9 inches
- Overall weight – 1.1 ounces
- 1X magnification
- Dot dimension – three MOA
- Max Windage Adjustment – 130 MOA
- Max elevation adjustment – 100 MOA
- Parallax free design]
What Users are Saying
In normal, customers who shoot the Vortex Venom pink dot sight give it above common evaluations. The overwhelming majority are impressed with the standard of the development and the efficiency of the Vortex Optics Venom pink dot sight.
- Small, compact, and light-weight
- Easy to mount and straightforward to make use of
- Holds zero very nicely and was fast to convey to zero
- Versatile in all mild circumstances. The auto-mode works nice to maintain the pink dot visible regardless of the sunshine scenario.
- The battery compartment might be exhausting to entry if in case you have massive hands
- The CR1632 batteries might be exhausting to seek out
Last replace on 2020-09-13 at 04:42 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here are some extra evaluations of the Venom:
Vortex Viper Red Dot Sight – What You Can’t See Can Make a Difference
The Vortex Optics Venom and Viper sights are, at first look, comparable in dimension and form. When you begin digging into the options, choices, and design, you start to know the variations. Digging into the small print reveals quite a bit in regards to the Vortex Optics Viper pink dot sight.
Of course, the Vortex Viper pink dot sight comes with all the usual Vortex Optics choices. One of the primary belongings you discover when the Viper pink dot sight comes out of the container is the smooth form. There are fewer sharp corners than the Venom sight. The total impression is that the Viper is a extra sturdy and sturdy design.
Meeting the Design Needs of Shooters
The controls appear extra sturdy as nicely. The location of the up and down energy turn on the left facet of the Viper physique is handy for right-handed shooters. The rubber housing on the switch permits straightforward really feel for changes to the illumination forcefulness.
The design of the Vortex Optical Viper is a bit smaller and decrease in profile than the Venom. The discipline of view on the Viper pink dot sight can be barely smaller than the Venom pink dot sight. For most pistol shooters, this isn’t a big consideration.
The Trade-offs for a Smaller Size
The smaller footprint of the Vortex Optics Viper pink dot sight requires eradicating the sight from the gun to vary the battery. The backside battery compartment is a minor inconvenience, but when dimension and profile are a difficulty, it’s a small worth to pay for some shooters.
- Lenses coated with a number of anti-reflective coatings for will increase mild transmission
- Parallax free design
- Single piece body design for sturdiness
- Frame machined from aircraft-grade aluminum
- Shockproof development designed to take the recoil on a slide mount
- Anodized end
- Vortex Optics “Armor Tek” coating on all lenses
- Unlimited eye reduction
- This autumn hour automated shutdown to preserve battery life
- 15o hours of battery life on the highest forcefulness setting
- Up to 30,000 hours of battery life on the bottom forcefulness setting
- Overall size – 1.eight inches
- Overall height – 1.zero inches
- Overall Width – 1.zero inches
- Weight with mount – 2 ounces
- Dot Size – 6 MOA
- Windage and Elevation changes – 1 MOA per click on
- Maximum windage adjustment – 120 MOA
- Maximum Elevation Adjustment – 120 MOA
The Pros and Cons – Users Tell the Tale
Like most different Vortex Optics merchandise, the Viper pink dot sight will get excessive marks with prospects who use the Viper pink dot sight. Very few damaging feedback show up in searches throughout the internet.
- The dimension of this sight is sort of a miracle.
- The sight bundle comes with the Glock and MOS mounting screws making most installations fast and painless.
- For the value, this is among the finest pink dot pistol sights available on the market
- Windage and elevation changes are crisp.
- Having to take away the sight to vary the battery is inconvenient
- The locking arrange on the windage and elevation might be exhausting to function when the scope is mounted
Vortex Optics Viper Red Dot Sight – 6 MOA Dot
- The Viper Red Dot Sight has an excellent low-profile making it good for handguns with cut-out slides.
- The Viper’s low height permits it to co-witness with iron sights and the 6 MOA dot is simple to select up…
Last replace on 2020-09-13 at 12:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Vortex Viper vs Venom Sights: Comparison Chart
These two sights are so comparable in lots of ways in which the most effective methodology of seeing the variations and the similarities is to check them facet by facet. I discovered the next once I put these two sights to the comparability take a look at.
|Vortex Venom||Vortex Viper|
|Reticle (as reviewed)||6 MOA||6 MOA|
|Power Source||CR 1632||CR 2032|
|Mounting||Picatinny Weaver||Picatinny Weaver|
|Max Windage Adj.||130 MOA||120 MOA|
|Max Elevation Adj.||100 MOA||120 MOA|
|Adjustment/Click||1 MOA||1 MOA|
|Length||1.9 Inches||1.eight inches|
|Width||1.1 inches||1.zero inches|
|Height||1.zero inches||1.zero inches|
|Weight||1.6 ounces||2 ounces|
My Impressions and Take-aways
To be sincere, I like each sights. The alternative could be as much on the shooter as on the specs and the options. The comparisons are so shut that, below most circumstances, both of those sights ought to work nicely for the typical shooter. With that mentioned, there are another issues.
The Concealed Carry Conundrum
If you carry a compact or sub-compact pistol, you in all probability aren’t going to be mounting a pink dot sight. The dimension of those hid carry pistols doesn’t enable straightforward mounting. On the opposite hand, in case you, like many people, see the necessity to carry a full-frame pistol as your alternative of a hid carry gun, mounting a pink dot sight is actually a risk.
The different drawback with the hid carry of a pistol with a pink dot sight mounted is the holster scenario. It might be exhausting to discover a holster that may accommodate a pink dot sight. Problems with discovering a holster are very true if you wish to carry a category 2 or class three safe holster.
Read more tips on carrying concealed…
The Advantages of a Red Dot Sight
Once you shoot a pistol with a mounted pink dot sight, you’ll instantly perceive the attraction. Sight acquisition and return to the purpose level grow to be much simpler with a pink dot sight. A pink dot sight mounted on a pistol geared up with good evening sights that may co-witness with the pink dot can improve your talents much more.
The Non-Traditional Mount – AR Pistols
Many shooters at the moment are mounting red dot sights on their AR pistols. There has been some concern the small pink dot sights just like the Venom and the Viper couldn’t stand up to the recoil of the bigger caliber rounds.
My private expertise is that there is no such thing as a drawback in any respect. i’ve a Vortex Optics Viper mounted on an AR pistol chambered for the normal .223/5.56 spherical and after 1000’s of rounds going downrange, the Viper sight continued to carry out flawlessly.
The Verdict or Verdicts because the Case May Be
Both the Vortex Optics Venom and Viper sights are glorious decisions in my e-book. Check them out beneath:
Each has its own set of advantages and some downsides. For me, the Viper suits my wants for a low profile, small, and contact pink dot sight to mount on an AR pistol that rides in a safe mount in my pickup truck on a regular basis.
Even within the tough and tumble circumstances in my truck, the Viper holds zero and continues to function each time the pistol comes out of the mount on the vary. That is the very best advice I feel a pink dot scope may obtain.
I hope that this comparability of the Vortex Venom vs Viper pink dot scopes has helped you resolve. Selecting a small pink dot scope is a alternative that wants extra consideration than simply options and specs. The scope must fill your wants and suit your strategies.
If you discovered this text useful and also you wish to remark, please use the house beneath. Your experiences are invaluable to others when they’re making choices. We recognize you sharing your time and your information.